~'Untitled Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

On Linguistics and Conlanging

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rorschach
Clan Member
Clan Member

On Linguistics and Conlanging Empty
PostSubject: On Linguistics and Conlanging   On Linguistics and Conlanging Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 12:47 pm

So Yeah…

This is a much, much, much overdue topic. Wind asked me a question on the server today (specifically, how to say "Windrider" in one of my conlangs) and I have been prompted to create this thread. So, if you've got any questions or anything, here is the place in which to ask 'em.

Incidentally, here is a sound file of how to say "Windrider" (or, rather, something extremely close; there's a lot of nonliteral translation IRL as well as into my conlangs) as a name (I really wish there were a way to monospace this text):

Édhenghuúyfé
/ˌéðenɣuˈúyˌfé/ (This is what is called the "underlying form"; the actual way I pronounced it [the "surface form" I provided] was slightly different [likely, IMO, influenced by my speaking one of the many varieties of American English], something like [ˌéðɛnɣuˈúyˌfé]; such things are common—if you're an American, say "batter" and "badder", and note that the ‹tt› and the ‹dd› sound the same)
édhen khuú y fé
ride wind the he
"He rides the wind" (in the sense of "he is the driver, he tames, he commands", not in the sense of "he is a passenger")
Back to top Go down
Marshmellow

Marshmellow

PostSubject: Re: On Linguistics and Conlanging   On Linguistics and Conlanging Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 12:52 pm

why did the 'g' in
"Édhenghuúyfé"
switch to a 'k' in
"édhen khuú y fé - ride wind the he"?
Back to top Go down
Rorschach
Clan Member
Clan Member

PostSubject: Re: On Linguistics and Conlanging   On Linguistics and Conlanging Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 1:24 pm

Marshmellow wrote:
why did the 'g' in
"Édhenghuúyfé"
switch to a 'k' in
"édhen khuú y fé - ride wind the he"?
It's the other way around—the ‹kh› becomes a ‹gh› in the name. Consonants in this language are unvoiced at the beginning of words (or before syllabic resonants, but there aren't any here) and are voiced otherwise. So, by itself, ‹khuú› /xuú/, but in the middle of a word, ‹-ghuú-› /-ɣuú-/.
Back to top Go down
Gftis
Clan Member
Clan Member
Gftis

PostSubject: Re: On Linguistics and Conlanging   On Linguistics and Conlanging Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 1:32 pm

I'm lost.
Back to top Go down
Windrider
Clan Member
Clan Member

PostSubject: Re: On Linguistics and Conlanging   On Linguistics and Conlanging Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 3:05 pm

hahah yes! he posted to mp3 file

I don't think I would be able to say it even if I practiced xD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On Linguistics and Conlanging   On Linguistics and Conlanging Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

On Linguistics and Conlanging
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
~'Untitled Clan  :: ~'Untitled Clan. :: Chat-
Jump to: